The top 10 defense contractors
July 14, 2022
VIEW MORE LISTS
[Bloomberg Government has launched the 11th annual BGOV200, a ranking of the top federal contractors. See the list and download the report.]
Defense contract spending totaled $408.4 billion in fiscal 2021, a $40.3 billion decrease from the prior year. In total, Pentagon spending is still more than $404.6B than in fiscal 2019.
Data shows the Defense Department spent $29 billion less in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2021 than the previous year, a huge part of the $28.4 billion net year-over-year decline across the government. The quarter’s share of total annual procurement also fell – to a five-year low of 27.5%, 3.5 percentage points below its annual average for fiscal 2017–21, according to Bloomberg Government data.
A $12 billion year-over-year increase in Pentagon purchases of Covid-related drugs and biologicals in the fourth quarter couldn’t offset spending decreases in key defense markets such as research and development (-$9.8 billion, -55%), aircraft manufacturing (-$6.7 billion, -65%), and construction and renovation (-5.9 billion, -39%). A 54% Q4 drop in F-35 Joint Strike Fighter spending was part of the annual decline in spending for the aircraft.
Fill your pipeline
Size and scope your addressable market, find opportunities, and grow your business by accessing unmatched data sets and proprietary analysis you’ll only get with Bloomberg Government.
Top 10 largest defense contractors in FY2021:
- Lockheed Martin Corp.
- Boeing Co.
- Raytheon Technologies Corp.
- General Dynamics Corp.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Northrop Grumman Corp.
- Huntington Ingalls Industries Inc.
- Humana Inc.
- Moderna Inc.
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Explore the 11th annual BGOV200 Federal Industry Leader rankings and download the full report.
A ranking of the top 200 federal contractors based on fiscal year 2021 data for unclassified, prime contracts awarded across all federal government agencies.
- Download: BGOV200 Federal Industry Leaders 2021
- Download: Top Federal Markets to Watch
- On Demand: Top Federal Markets to Watch
- Download: FY21 Army Budget Priorities
- Download: FY21 Air Force Budget Priorities
- Download: FY21 Navy-Marine Corps Budget Priorities
- Winning Federal Contracts on the Top 20 Contract Vehicles
- Cybersecurity for Government Contractors
- Government Contracting and the Federal Budget
- Federal Contract Spending Trends in Five Charts
- Partnering with 8a Companies as a Large Contracting Firm
- Actionable Market Intelligence for Defense Contracts