Bloomberg Government subscribers get the stories like this first. Act now and gain unlimited access to everything you need to know. Learn more.
General Dynamics “missed its monthly detail design goals due to inefficient design software” over the past year, the Government Accountability Office says in latest public assessment of the program.
- Navy program officials tell GAO that General Dynamics “increased its design staff in an effort to recover its schedule”
- GAO says “delayed detail designs are impacting material orders, slowing construction progress, and jeopardizing the design completion goal”
- Navy says 83% of detailed design work must be complete before construction starts later this year; General Dynamics completed 100% of basic design last year
- General Dynamics is lead contractor on Navy’s top program to replace aging Ohio-class nuclear-missile sub
- First delivery planned for 2027; first patrol in 2030
- NOTE: Navy spokesman Captain Danny Hernandez says Columbia construction schedule is “holding and the program remains on track”