General Dynamics “missed its monthly detail design goals due to inefficient design software” over the past year, the Government Accountability Office says in latest public assessment of the program.
- Navy program officials tell GAO that General Dynamics “increased its design staff in an effort to recover its schedule”
- GAO says “delayed detail designs are impacting material orders, slowing construction progress, and jeopardizing the design completion goal”
- Navy says 83% of detailed design work must be complete before construction starts later this year; General Dynamics completed 100% of basic design last year
- General Dynamics is lead contractor on Navy’s top program to replace aging Ohio-class nuclear-missile sub
- First delivery planned for 2027; first patrol in 2030
- NOTE: Navy spokesman Captain Danny Hernandez says Columbia construction schedule is “holding and the program remains on track”